Thursday, August 30, 2007

Quilts

Okay, so I first found this great blog for the designer Anna Maria Horner. I love her crafts and designs. Then just today I checked out her fabric website and I am IN LOVE with her quilts. My friend Es just showed me a quilt her sister made for Es' new baby. It just rejuvenated my desire to quilt. How do you even get started in such things? I guess one project at a time.

I have made only one quilt and it was horrible (& I won't even tell you how much help I had from my dad to make it) He's an amazing designer/tailor. Why didn't I express more interest in having him teach me when we were living on the same coast?!? Anyway, this hideous quilt was made for my husband when we were dating. He loves it but I think its just about the ugliest thing I've ever seen. But at the time I was darn proud of it! I'm including a picture of it and a picture of a blanket my Nana (my dads mom) hand quilted and a quilt my dad made Syd for her blessing. The fabric is extra from my wedding dress and other cloth from costumes my dad made when my mom was an opera singer It's even more beautiful in person. My only question is why didn't my genes come from that side of the family?

2 comments:

Esther Noelle said...

Lady we gotta take a sewing class!! Taba will totally help us too! Here's baby Robby's quilt... it's a tiny pic...

http://tinyurl.com/382mxb

Anonymous said...

Yes, you HAVE to start quilting. It is the family art handed down through many generations. I remember your great-great-grandmother quilting, your great grandmother quilting, and of course your Nana's quilts are the best ever. Now that arthritis in her hands makes quilting too painful, the torch is passed. I'm the only one of my siblings to do any quilts and there haven't been many.

I'm hoping to finish Robert's in time for his blessing. Send good wishes my way.

For quilt inspirations, see artquilt.com.