Tuesday, October 9, 2007

Chocolate Covered Hi-Hat Cupcakes

Okay, so I saw this recipe in my new Cupcake book! I'd never heard of them but they sounded good. Wow! They are tasty not so easy to make but they were divine to eat. And let me just say, that mine don't look nearly as pretty as others I've seen- the chocolate covering got lumpy but it didn't change how darn good they tasted! (I think the key is the almond extract in the fluffy topping- I LOVE ALMOND FLAVORING!) Try them out sometime! SO GOOD!

CHOCOLATE COVERED HI-HAT CUPCAKES

Chocolate Cake (makes 20 cupcakes )
2 cups sugar
1 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 tsp salt
1 cup cocoa powder
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp baking soda
2 tsp vanilla
1 cup buttermilk
4 ounces melted butter
3 large eggs
-Preheat oven to 350 degrees
- Mix dry ingredients together into a mixing bowl.
-Mix together the wet ingredients, Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients and stir until combined.
-Scoop the batter into the prepared muffin tins, filling until about a quarter of an inch from the top of the liner.
-Bake for about 20 minutes, or until the cakes spring back when lightly pressed with a finger.
-Remove from oven, let cool in pan about 10 minutes and then finish cooling on a rack. Place the room temperature cupcakes in the refrigerator while you make the meringue.

Topping:
1 ¾ cup sugar
¼ cup water
3 large egg whites
¼ tsp cream of tarter
1 tsp vanilla extract
½ tsp almond extract
-Put sugar , water, egg whites, and cream of tartar in a metal bowl. Mix on high until opaque (1 min)
-Put bowl over barely simmering water, Beat on high until it stands up when you pull your beaters out (about 12 min) watch out for the cord on the burner.
-Remove and add extracts and mix for 2 more min.
-Pipe coil mounds on top of the chilled cupcakes, mounding each high to form the marshmallow "hat". Place the cupcakes in the refrigerator and make your chocolate coating.

Chocolate coating:
14 ounces bittersweet chocolate (I used a 72%)
1/4 cup vegetable oil
-Place chocolate and oil in the top of a double boiler (again I just use a stainless steel bowl) and place over just simmering water and let sit about 5 minutes, then stir until chocolate is melted and you have a nice smooth dipping chocolate.
-Put into a deep container (one that is narrow and deep enough to dip the "hats" in). Dip your cupcakes in one at a time, allow excess to drip off.

5 comments:

Ashley said...

No, seriously, HOW do you have time for this stuff??

Esther Noelle said...

Wow those look awesome! Nice work!

Shauna said...

im making those they look so gooooooooooood.

olivia, i share your enthusiasm for cupcakes. i made about 1 million mini chocolate cupcakes (dark, white and milk) last night and brought them in to work this morning on a 3 tiered cake plate. i only wish that i took pictures to put them on my blog. they are pretty much gone now. Nothing like early morning chocolate.

Britt- Sparkled Vintage Charm said...

gorgeous!!!! seriously!! they turned out so cute!!! I have seen them before. I will have to try your recipe!! :-)

Anonymous said...

These are beautiful. I think I'll make them for my office for Halloween. But I'll use a cake mix for the cake part. I have my limit of patience!