Tuesday, December 22, 2009

The Carter's are ALIVE!

We are all moved into our new place. Remind me NEVER to do this again. With all my complaining you'd think we moved cross country. Naw, just to the other end of the city. I'm such a moving pansy. You'd think we hadn't done in now 5 times in the 5 years we've been married.

There's still cleaning at the other house & we leave for Christmas festivities (ie: driving) tomorrow but at the very least we are in the house.

Now, someone please tell me how to unpack. Right now it's just piles unpon piles of boxes & a frightening amount of projects to do. Any advice would be helpful. I'm drowning in cardboard.

The move itself went well- thanks for the people who came over & helped. Seriously, the musclemen & women who moved my seemingly lead lined recliner loveseat, the babysitters who played with my ornery kids, the cleaners who scrubed both gross houses & the friends who talked me down from jumping out the window.

And a couple "proof of life" pictures...


1) Me looking disgustingly stressed & tired. I seriously wish I could have had my Big Gulp on an IV or something. It was THAT bad.
2) Manly men playing Tetris with our furniture trying to get it to fit.
3) Rockin' the gnome mix while driving (yes, I think my car might actually be that dusty. Gross.)

9 comments:

lindsey said...

unpack things like pots and pans first so that you don't waste a ton of money eating out. This might sound bad, but set up the tv soon so that you can reward yourself with a little down time at the end of the day. You think 5 times in 5 years is bad... we did 8 in 3... 3 different states. Good luck :)

lindsey said...

oh and twice I was prego :)

Cranberryfries said...

Horay! You're alive. Good luck with the unpacking. I can't wait to come check out your new place.

Esther Noelle said...

Good advice about the kitchen stuff first... makes sense!

Also it can be a great time to de-junk some things...

Try to do one area at a time and then get the boxes out of there asap!

M said...

Yes, agree with unpacking one room/area at the time, starting with the essentials: bedding (make up your beds right away), shower/bathroom stuff, and kitchen stuff. Those are the essentials and will help you feel a little normal and less chaotic, esp with the kids, while you do the rest. And like Lindsey said, set up the TV somewhere, even if you'll end up moving it later. Break down the boxes as you go and put in a pile, then throw out when you've finished a room or are taking a break. Keep one or two boxes together and use as trash for all the paper and bubble wrap you're throwing out.

It's stressful for sure, but the hard part is over! Congrats! Can't wait to see pics of the new place!

Christie said...

We always set up the computer first, but I guess you've got that done!

Kristal said...

augh. moving. I'm just glad that on our last move we just had to put the stuff in storage and not unpack it... unpacking a suitcase is loads easier.

I'm pretty much terrible at unpacking, but I love getting a new place all oragized! It makes me feel like a kid playing house (until I get to the 'random junk' boxes, then I hate life)

And last thing, I talked to my mom the other day and she said she LOVED having syd and berto over cuz syd was real cuddly. Now they are just that much more grandkid hungry... way to put the pressure on me Liv!

DAViN said...

Whats on your "Gnome Mix"? Davin asks inquisitively.

Dad said...

Open a box, put everything in the box away in its proper place, break down the box. If you can't find a place for some of the stuff, put it all in one box as you move move to the next box. You'll get through lots of boxes quickly and end up with one or two that will will either (1) take you until Easter to unpack or (2) send you to your closest DI or Goodwill to make life simpler.

Mine is great advice. Now, if only I had paid attention when we moved the last time. . .