(technically it's soup but its so thick I call it stew). The kids LOVE this & ate a TON. I made them yummy grilled mozzarella, tomato, & basil sandwich on whole grain bread too.
8 oz split peas
8 oz lentils
1 1/2 cups carrots (cut into bite size pieces)
2 stalks celery (cut into small slices)
2 large tomatoes (chopped)
1 large onion (chopped)
4 chopped garlic cloves
10 basil leaves (chopped)
1 tsp olive oil
1/4 tsp pepper
1 tsp paprika
1 bunch of baby spinach (I used A LOT more than this- like 2 bunches)
1 (12 oz) can V-8 juice
1) Rinse the lentils and split peas well then add to boiling water & simmer until done, about 40 min. Keep checking water before this adding if water goes below beans, drain.
2) Heat olive oil in large pot, saute onions & garlic over medium heat until onions are clean (5 min)
3) Add celery, carrots, & 1 cup of water, simmer until al dente
4) Add 4 cups water & cooked lentils and split peas
5) Squeeze tomatoes and juice in the pot. Chop up the pulp of the tomatoes.
6) Add v8 juice, pepper, paprika, & basil to the pot.
7) Bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer. Add spinach & simmer about 30 min.
Warning: It has a really gritty earthy taste like lentils. If you don't like that taste then you likely won't like this recipe. If you do then you'll love it & its chalked FULL of veggies.
Anyone have any healthy recipes? Please share!