Thursday, July 15, 2010

Healthy Recipe: Stuffed Spaghetti Squash

Okay, let me preface this with the fact that I am the ONLY ONE in the family that liked this recipe. Scott & the kids hated the texture of the spaghetti squash. So be warned, you may be eating this by yourself.

1. Cut the squash in half and clean out the seeds and stingy things (like a pumpkin)


2. I peppered & Montreal Seasoned the inside of the squash

3. Little bit of olive oil and brown onions (I used the little bit of red onion I had left & some yellow onion) and some garlic until soft.

4. Stuff the squash with the garlic & onions, fresh tomatoes, mozzarella, Parmesan, basil, mushrooms (and whatever else you want)

5. Cover with foil and put in the oven. Cook at 350 degrees for 1 hour (that's what the instructions said but it easily took an hour and 1/2 or a little bit more)

6. Poke at the edges to see if they are soft and then pull it out. Use a fork and scrape out the insides- it will come out stringy like noodles.

7. Mix all the goodness together and then I topped it with melted cheese just to make it more appetizing for the family.


I thought it was A-MAZ-ING & everyone ate it, but I was the only one that loved it. Try it out and let me know what you think.

Does anyone have some good spaghetti squash recipes? Or healthy veggie filled ones?

9 comments:

Sharon said...

We use it in place of spaghetti pasta with sauce and cheese. We all love it that way.

M said...

That sounds yummy!

Em and Russ said...

I've never liked the spaghetti squash, but I am always willing to try it just in case. Normally I love squash, but can't make it happen with the spaghetti squash.

Russ

Stephanie said...

My friend makes chicken and/or turkey tetrazzini using spaghetti squash instead of spaghetti, and it's pretty good. It's about the only way I'll eat spaghetti squash, though, because usually I can't stand the stuff :P

Unknown said...

I've never tried spaghetti squash but I might just have to now. My husband is usually a vegetable hater but he's been on a weight loss kick and he's getting desperate and has had to try a few veggies. I might be able to convince him to eat this!

Rachel said...

Ooooo. That looks dElicious! I love spaghetti squash!

Smithy said...

I love me all kinds of squash and zucchini. unfortunately mikes does not. so i only eat it when i'm back in MD at the home front.

April Carter said...

I love love squash and that looks uber delcious. Good job

Esther Noelle said...

MMMM looks so good! I should just buy a small one and make it for myself... maybe I will! :)