Monday, November 1, 2010

DIY: Halloween Dog Sushi Costume

Yes, that's right, my friend Smithy asked me to make her dog Astro a Halloween costume this year. I made our family sushi one year for Halloween so she asked if I could make Astro a sushi too.

1) First you've got to find the right fabrics (one of the harder parts) I found a salmon-ish colored shiny fabric that would look like a piece of raw salmon. Then finding a seaweed colored fabric was hard since it needed to be shiney and green but almost black.

2) Then I found a fabric marker (DecoMarker 3 mm) to draw lines on the fabric to make it look like salmon.


3) Then I sewed it like a pillow, stuffed it, and basted the edge closed (It's covered by the seaweed wrap so I didn't worry what it looked like)

4) Then for the rice so I made kind of a taller pillow I had to give it some height so I made two rectangles and a long strip that would wrap around & attach it to the top & bottom pieces. Leaving an open spot to stuff it.


5) To make the seaweed wrap part I just made a long strip, turned in inside out, ironed it flat, sewed down the edges & added velcro for it to attach around the dog.

6) I didn't have Astro with me to double check the size but I was pretty satisfied with how it turned out:


P.S. Sorry for the bad pictures. I was sewing a lot at night which isn't a great time to get good pictures.

5 comments:

Lux Lady... said...

So clever and hilarious! Nice work.

Smithy said...

thanks a lot lady! it was a big hit!

Em and Russ said...

That is so funny. I don't know how you find the time to sew. I need to learn how to sew first, I guess.

M said...

Not sure how I feel about dressing pets up for Halloween, but I do admire your creativity!

April Carter said...

I almost want a bite!