Tuesday, January 10, 2012

HOW TO: Get kids ready for a new baby


For Family Night last night, I thought for part of our evening we'd have some "what's gonna happen when the baby comes" activities with Syd & Rob.

We started off reading this LOVELY (in story & especially in drawings) book my mom-in-law gave Syd & Rob for Christmas.

Then we played a little game of "What will change & what will stay the same when the baby comes". I typed up a bunch of sentences & then we put them under each column (We had a bunch & I made an effort to have the "stay the same" list longer than the "change" list).

To top off the night we played with Sydney's doll, specifically learning how to hold a baby. The kids went ga-ga for it.

I am probably a lot more neurotic than I need to be about how they're going to handle a new baby but it was fun to talk (& warn them) about all the fun (& hard stuff) that comes along with a new baby!

13 comments:

stephanie said...

great - love it.

Kristie said...

So smart! You are an amazing mom!

Em and Russ said...

Love it, great job!!!

Russ

Debbie / Cranberry Fries said...

Seriously best ideas ever. I'm sure your kids are going to appreciate this night (even if they dont say so) for a while. Plus later I can just see you referring back to things you guys talked about and practiced. How cool!

Em and Russ said...

Such a great idea! We love you guys!

hotpants™ said...

This is a great idea!

Monica @ All Things Lovely said...

Good job. Love the idea of the two columns.

M said...

Great idea! You are a wonderful mom!!

Amber said...

what a great mom you are olivia- such a cute idea and if i was going to have anymore babies- i would totally steal this... but I'm not so I will just admire your idea from afar =)

Susan said...

You are awesome! If I ever get pregnant, I will be doing this too! :)

Darlene said...

Fabulous idea!

You're amazing...and talented!

The Romney Family said...

Such a cute activity--I definitely want to do this with my girls in a few months, too. Thanks for the idea!

Esther Noelle said...

Email me your things! Gotta do this with Robby...