Sunday, March 18, 2012

Feelings

Rob has a hard time talking about how he feels (While my Syd, on the other hand, could talk about her emotions for eternity. And beyond.) So, I found a lesson online, that I can't find for the life of me, that had a couple faces with emotions on them.
It wasn't enough to cover the wealth of emotions that I wanted Rob to recognize (beyond, you know- happy, sad, mad) so I took the couple she had & then added a bunch more.
I've kept the faces in a little cup by Rob's bed & it's actually been helpful. The next time he had a fight with Syd after we made them, I went in his room to talk to him.
I snuggled him up, grabbed the angry face, & asked "Does fighting with Syd make you mad?".

"No," he replied grabbing two other emotions out of the jar. "I think it makes me sad & sorry."

Not only does it help him express how he feels a lot better, but it helps me to recognize & identify his emotions too.

Heck, I should probably carry some around so that when I cry people would know why, since I pretty much cry when I'm mad, really happy, sad, super embarrassed, tired, hungry... etc. Is it just me?

10 comments:

Monica @ All Things Lovely said...

Good job. That is/sounds like a great way to go about that. Ill have to remember that.

M said...

What a wonderful idea! Life would be a lot easier if we could all use those little faces to express how we feel.

Anelieze + Franco Castrejon said...

love it! communication is so important, and it's great that you're on top of it while he's young.

Sarah said...

I LOVE this idea!

Kristal said...

such a good idea! Good job momma!

Smithy said...

love it... can you email me your file?

Emma (Catching Tiny Stars) said...

What a brilliant idea, might have to do something like that for Ian as he still isn't talking much. Might help when he has a tantrum. :)
and I could do with them too. Same as you I cry when I'm happy, sad, hungry, thirsty, embarressed, worried... actually I pretty much cry at anything.
xx

Mike Kessler said...

I don't know if this is just me, or a guy thing, or a people thing, but I often laugh at the same things Emma says she cries at. I once laughed when I heard a coworker was hit by a truck. I didn't laugh because I thought it was funny but because it was very upsetting, and apparently my emotional wiring is messed up.

April Carter said...

Another great Olivia Idea.

Susan said...

I want those. Please find them! :) Ez seems to only recognize anger these days... so EVERYTHING makes him mad. It's really frustrating. So if you happen to run across those again, please let me know! :)