Thursday, June 7, 2012

Non-taste Test

As I've gotten older every time I get a cold I loose my sense of smell.
Which then makes me loose my sense of taste.
Which is sometimes great- Goodbye, cravings. Hello, Salads for every meal.
And sometimes stinks- Linc is poopy? I didn't even know. (or is that a good thing?)

Anyway, I was drinking a Gatoraid yesterday & I realized I couldn't taste it as much as "feel" it. Like it kind of tingled in my mouth (& I SO don't want to know which chemical caused that feeling- that's creepy!) But it got me thinking... could I tell what I was drinking, even if I couldn't taste it?

I wouldn't be a member of the Carter Family if I didn't put it to a test. Here were the drinks:


(water, slightly flat Sunkist, Gatoraid, pina colada SOBE, Capri Sun, apple juice, milk)

I blindfolded myself (I know it looks like a small black bra but it's a totally awesome sleep eye cover thingthat like doesn't smash your eyes) & Scott did the test on me.

I did pretty well- the milk & water were easy. I also managed the Gatoraid (again, that slightly unpleasant tingling I never noticed before) & the Pina Colada SOBE. All the others were a complete shot in the dark, but I say 4 outta 7 is better than half & I'll take that.

Does this happen to anyone else?
I'm a freak of nature, right?

5 comments:

Kristal said...

no, your not a freak... taste is very closely linked to smell, so when you're stuffy you can't taste as well. That's why in the movies when they have to swallow something gross (like nasty medicine) they would plug their nose. I have to do that sometimes too if I try a piece of sushi and just can quite get it down.

fun test!

Monica @ All Things Lovely said...

hahah funny.

i lose a little bit of my sense of taste and smell, but i dont think enough to not be able to tell the difference between all of these.

TLF said...

hahaha.. I've never even thought about this before.. But now that you bring it up, yeah everything does taste different.

Cranberryfries said...

I'm totally awed that you can 'feel' the difference. I know I'd be able to get milk because it's just so different but I wonder if I could get the other similarly seeming juices. I so want to try this. Well done lady!

Esther Noelle said...

Ha, love the taste test...