Wednesday, October 24, 2007

Pumpkin Pie from REAL PUMPKINS

I've never done this before but when we were at the apple orchard I picked up 2 pie pumpkins. Here are my step-by-step instructions on how to make a pumpkin pie from real pumpkins...
Find some pie pumpkins!
Cut them in half
Scoop out the guts
Put on a greased sheet(350 for 45 min)
Scoop out the pulp
Mix up in the blender.
Then you just make it like normal pumpkin pie.
I used this recipe:
3 large eggs
2 cups pumpkin puree
1/2 cup whipping cream
1/2 cup light brown sugar
1 tsp ground cinnamon
1/2 tsp ground ginger
1/8 tsp ground cloves
1/2 tsp salt
(I would add a bit more sugar- the pumpkin taste from REAL pumpkins is STRONG so it might be better to add a bit more sugar). I added this great pecan topping (1/2 cup chopped pecan, 1/2 cup brown sugar, 2 TBSP butter, sprinkled on top, half way through the baking). I made it at 375 degrees for 45 min. I also made mini pumpkin pies too... & add some fresh apple cider- SO YUMMY!

3 comments:

Esther Noelle said...

Yummy yummy! Once again you've mastered a new treat!

Katie said...

wow! More power to you, Olivia, for making a pumpkin that didn't involve a can!

Britt- Sparkled Vintage Charm said...

wow!!! I am in awe of you! great job!! xo Britt