Tuesday, January 22, 2008

Books I've been reading...


So, I just finished reading 'A Great and Terrible Beauty'and 'Rebel Angels ' by Libba Bray. I am starting 'The Sweet Far Thing' (the last book in the series) . It took a while for me to get used to the tone & language (it's written in a almost Victorian style of writing). The books take place in the 1890's in India & a "finishing school" in England following the 16 year old main character who learns she has vision & magical powers. I know, I know...you're recommending books on vampires, Olivia? And magic powers now? I know... but it's good.

It's quite gothic, a bit eerie, & it made me grateful for the advancements in womens rights I enjoy today. I... liked... (I guess that's the word) the first book & hadn't found another book to read so decided to read the second book in the series & LOVED it. I'm excited to finish it with the third book- I'll keep you all up to date.

P.S. I really love the covers of the books. Am I the only one that picks books by their covers?

2 comments:

Mrs. James Quigley said...

Liver- I just bought all 3 and haven't started them. I am going to hear the author speak on Friday with one of my favorite authors Shannon Hale (Goose Girl, Princess Academy). Thanks for the review. I am excited to get to reading them.

Kristal said...

Olivia, I love your light skin, what are you talking about? It's so beautiful, you don't look pale either, just fair skinned, and with dark hair you can for sure pull it off! but i read your review and since you turned out so right about twilight, i am going to order the first book right now!