Thursday, September 24, 2009

UVU Writer's & Readers Conference


Thanks to the fabulous babysitting skills of my friend, Esther, & Scott taking a half day I was able to go to the UVU Writer's & Reader's Conference along with my friend Debbie. It was so good & I learned so much.

Not only was it nice to get a lil' break from the kids, but it was also nice to do something educational.

My favorite parts were hearing Brandon Sanderson (of Mistborn fame) speak & unlimited refills of UVU waterbottles at their soda fountains.

P.S. You can read more in depth info on who was there by reading Debbie's account of our adventures!

6 comments:

Cranberryfries said...

a) I LOVE that you took the picture of the soda refills. You are just so fun.
b) THANK YOU for letting me tag along. It was such a blast and I would have never even known it was happening if it weren't for you.
c) It was a fantastic day!

Kristie said...

You guys are so cute! I wish I could go and do things like that! Please share something that you learned.
Thanks for having a fun blog. You always have something fun you have done with your kids, it makes me want to be better at playing with my kids!
I miss living close to you! Send me your email address (ktolmann at gmail dot com) and I will invite you to my blog!
Krisite

Cindy said...

Oohh.. sounds fun!

Olivia Carter said...

Stuff I learned... so much. A lot about the publishing idustry (especially with local publishers like Desert Book, Coverent, & Zerahemla) that part was just really interesting.

Hearing the story of the pretty darn popular author Brandon Sanderson. He wrote 6 books before they published him.

I learned about making a Character Bible- which is a notebook where you keep information about each character & that you should be able to answer ANY question about your character even if it's not relevant to the book you are writing. (IE: If at Blockbuster what movie would your character pick? If your character saw someone getting mugged what would they do?)

My friend went to the "How to write & be a good parent" one & I think she got some good advice too. About crockpot meals so you can write when you'd be cooking dinner, or frozen dinners ahead of time.

Just an all around REALLY neat conference!

Smithy said...

hooray! glad you picked up some good tips!

Kylie said...

Sounds like so much fun. And unlimited refills at a soda fountain would be one of my favorite things as well. :)