Sunday, May 23, 2010

REVIEW: Panda Express Orange Chicken in a Bottle

I inexplicably love Panda Express (despite people questioning my Kung Pao preference) . Love. It. And every time I go at least one of the sides MUST be Orange Chicken so I was excited to find a bottle of the Orange Sauce at the grocery store.


It doesn't have a recipe on the bottle though. Which I thought was kinda lame. So, I looked up a recipe & I think the chicken itself was pretty darn close.

Take 2 large eggs, 1 ½ tsp salt, 1/8 tsp white pepper, & 1 TB of veggie oil. (I only had black pepper & it was fine) & beat them in a bowl.

Add 1/2 cup of cornstarch & 1/4 cup of flour. Mix!

Cut 4-5 chicken breasts up in bite-sized pieces and put in the bowl. Mix to coat. Put 1-2 inches of veggie oil in a pan. Heat, then add chicken pieces in one at a time (I had to do 3 batches of them).

Don't cook them too long. About 5-7 min until they are a little brown on each side.

Then add the bottle of sauce. The sauce is STRONG. You won't get the chicken as "saucey" as they do at the store. I put TOO much sauce on to make it look like the actual Panda Express chicken (& so there would be sauce for the white rice) but it was too strong.

Cut green onions on the top & serve over rice. YUM!

COMPLAINTS: Like I said, the sauce is pretty darn strong. It tastes the same- orangey, vinegary, gingery, & spicey but A LOT more than at the store. Next time I'd use a lot less sauce & I think it would be better.

9 comments:

Crafty Debbee said...

Yum...I will have to look for that in my local grocery store. Thanks for the post
:)
Debbee

Linda, Mom and Granny said...

Thanks for the Chicken recipe I will looking for Panda Express Orange Chicken Sauce in a our area. I LOVE IT!!!

Ashley said...

I got some of that sauce a while back - tasty! I would just cook some chicken in a pan (with no batter) and make a chicken stir-fry with the sauce. But you are right, it is strong!

Smithy said...

I wonder if there is some way to "water down" the sauce...

i love good chinese food and there is a serious lack of it in Utah making Panda express one of the best bets for your $$

April Carter said...

It looks yummy though and your culinary skills are great! I think you should come cook for ME!

Sharon said...

Panda Express Orange Chicken is by far my favorite. We have to go to Utah to get it. I hope that one of our stores will carry the sauce. I like Ashleys idea about using it for stir fry.

THE BILLS FAMILY said...

mmmm.....my fav too!!!

Cindy said...

That looks yummy!

Anelieze + Franco Castrejon said...

saw this at the store and thought i'd try it, too! will take your advice and use less.