Thursday, July 22, 2010

A couple notes on writing...

1. Word count so far:


11153 / 50000 words. 22% done!


2.
Love this speculative fiction chart- I'm not sure what they all mean, but I'm a big Dystopic fan, as well as Urban Fantasy. What about you guys?


3.
Speaking of dystopic I'm loving the DYSTOPIC genre right now. (Favorite new examples: The Hunger Game series & Unwind / Favorite classics: The Giver & A Brave New World)

4. You know you've written a great love triangle when alliances are completely split:


5. Shannon Hale is SPOT ON with her "How to be a Writer's Friend". It's long, but a nice read (especially if you have a friend/spouse who writes) Love. It.

7 comments:

Lux Lady... said...

I'm plugging away? You are rocking on this 50K words thing!

By the way, another good dystopian book is Anthem by Ayn Rand. You can read it in one sitting.

Stephanie said...

I love The Hunger Games, and I'll have to check out Unwind! Dystopians were definitely my thing for awhile.

Oh, and I liked Anthem too. A short read, but an interesting one!

Katie said...

You are educating me! I had no idea what dystopic meant, but I know that I loved The Hunger Games and The Giver has always been one of my favorite childhood books. I will have to check out Unwind too.

Great job with the writing Olivia! You are my hero - someday I want to go for it like you.

Denise said...

The Giver is one of my favorite books... Brave New World also is one of those you think about for a long, long time after. If Hunger Games and Unwind fit in that category I need to get on those, ASAP! I love how you incorporate great reading into everything else, this blog is dynamic enough for everyone.

April Carter said...

Explain Dystopic for me again? I loved the Giver , was disturbed by Brave New World...but I read it in the 70's.

Smithy said...

love that peeps are split on Dimitri and Adrian! I am toooo!!!!

Esther Noelle said...

Yes I love that people are split on Dimitri and Adrian too! I think Adrian needs to die and her end up with Dimirti. Just my opinion.

Loved all those dystopic books and I'll check out the other suggestions in the comments!

Thanks for being the best friend and book dealer a girl can have!!