Wednesday, October 20, 2010

5 STAR BOOKS, but I don't know who to recommend them to

Recently, I've read two books that I loved. Usually when I find one I shout it from the roof tops, blog about it, sometimes I'll literally shove the book in peoples hands...

BUT these two most resent lovely, intricate, emotional books I'm at a loss on who to recommend them to (the "blurbs" on both these books didn't appeal to me at all either)


JELLICOE ROAD:

This book takes place in Australia (some of the vernacular was strange at first) & it took me about 100 pages to get into, but once I was there I could NOT put it down.

It follows 17 yr-old Taylor who was abandoned years ago by her mom & is taken in by a woman at a boarding school out in the bush. There are some light storylines: a "territory war" between the students, the military school cadets, & the town kids. But the mysteries surrounding Taylor's mom & her past life make the story. You'll have a million questions as you read the book, but each one is answered by the end.

The book is dense, and emotional. It's not a quick easy read, but if you keep with it, you're rewarded with humor, a great male main character Jonah Briggs, family ties, & friendship.

THE KNIFE OF NEVER LETTING GO:

This book falls under the Dystopic genre that I've been a fan of lately. It follows a 13-ish year old boy Todd who lives in a town where all the women were killed by a mysterious disease that left all the men (and, stay with me here... all the animals) able to hear each others thoughts.

It's a strange concept & as I started it I thought, I'm going to hate this book. The narrorator uses lots of slang, mispells words, & there's a talking dog. But let me just tell you it is an emotional roller coaster. It's not a roller coaster for everyone though. It's violent, & even a little scary, but worth the journey.

That being said it's part of a trilogy (& the ending is a MAJOR cliff hanger) & I haven't read the next book. It was just SUCH a journey that I needed a break before I moved to the next one.

So, if either of these sound remotely interesting PLEASE go read them so I have someone to talk to about them! And if you've read either of them please, leave a comment & let me know what you thought.

5 comments:

Katie said...

Just requested them at the library. I will let you know what I think when I read them! Thanks for sharing.

Smithy said...

they just barely got jellicoe road at my library, i'll see if i can snag it.

Just SO said...

I LOVE The Knife of Never Letting Go! And the second book The Ask and the Answer...and I just put the third book, Monsters of Men on hold at the library!

hotpants™ said...

I've added these to my ridiculous list of must reads.

Christie said...

Put both on my library list. I'm a huge fan of the dystopic genre in general.