I'm gonna be honest, I am not a good housekeeper. I'm not putting myself down or anything- I'm a fun mom that plays with my kids. I go out & do fun stuff with them. A decent cook. But housekeeper? Not high on my list of stay-at-home-mom qualifications.
(hey, this pic kinda/sorta looks like The Birth of Venus?)
And here's how I went about getting my spring cleaning done:
1. Make a list of what needs to be done. Research online & see what other people have on theirs lists too. There were several things I didn't think of- stuff like replace your air filters (we've lived here 3 years & I didn't even know we had air filters).
2. Start from the top & work your way down. I always forget this & clean my kitchen floors only to have to clean the counters, which always manages to drop stuff on the floors. So work your way down. As in start with your light fixtures & high up dusting. Last do the floors.
3. Start with big stuff- things like moving furniture to clean under it, flipping the mattresses- stuff like that.
4. Don't forget the small stuff. Things like cleaning out your expired makeup, replacing the soap in the bathrooms, updating your first aid kit.
5. Employ your tiny slaves. There were lots of things that Syd & Rob were happy to do- caring clothes, washing windows, wiping down counters, & dusting was a favorite too.
6. Gather cleaning supplies- I really should do better using more natural stuff- like water, vinegar, & lemons. But this goal was big enough that I stuck with tried and true stuff I already had to clean- Scrubbing Bubbles for the showers, Windex for the mirrors, & 409 for basically everything else.
7. Good music or a good audiobook. For me this is a must. Without it my mind wanders & I stop. But if I have an audiobook I've been looking forward to then it gives me something to look forward too when I clean (my all time favorites are Harry Potter, Hunger Games &The Help)
Here's a copy of my list if your interested (I even prettied it up for you guys):
CONCLUSION: Like I said, it didn't get completely done & I kinda feel like it got "un-done" by me being sick & the kids having the run of the house. But it was nice to do stuff like wiping down the baseboards that you don't realize are SO GROSS until you get down there to clean them.
It's nice to have a clean"-ish" house & to have a lot of those things checked off my big muddled mental list of stuff I gotta get to "someday".
What's on your spring clean list?
What are your go-to cleaning supplies?
P.S. See my goals for Week 1 & Week 2